Maaden Ras Al Khair Aluminum Smelter
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Fire & Safety Systems were engaged by Bechtel M&M to provide the consultancy services for the fire protection and detection systems being installed on the MAADEN Ras Al Khair Aluminum Smelter Project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to ensure legislative and code compliance.
FSS provided the services throughout the FEED, and EPCM stages of the project and involved an FSS staff member being resident in the Bechtel engineering office in Montreal during the design phase and providing on-site support during the construction phase.
The services provided included:
• Developing the design philosophy and criteria for all fire systems across the smelter to commensurate with International best practice to protect client assets and subsequent business continuity.
• Assisting both Bechtel and the Client achieve acceptance of the philosophies by the project insurers.
• Preparing a scope of works for a site wide supply and installation package and a subsequent technical evaluation of the bid packages received from local KSA fire services companies.
• Reviews of vendor fire protection documentation and drawings for design verification and to ensure compliance with design criteria and NFPA standards.
• Assistance with submittals to KSA regulatory authorities.
• Site inspections of installed systems in relation to quality of install and witness testing and commissioning.
As the project comes to a close FSS have been commended by both the EPCM contractor and the client on the advice and support tended along with experience demonstrated in achieving across the board fire protection systems which will provide high degree of plant safety from fire events and support the continued operation of the smelter.
Client: Bechtel M&M
Owner: Alcoa Ma’aden Joint Venture